Friday, April 10, 2009

"Don't Throw it Away!" - Estate Sale Finds

This morning my Mum and I hit the estate sale circuit in search of crafty goodness. I picked up some sweet yarn cheap and a few other bits, the lady was obsessed with Christmas and the craft supplies followed that theme. But paydirt was the books!
Like this lovely bit - "Don't throw it away!". A Better Homes and Gardens tome, and copyright them etc... We are chastened by author Vivian Abell to turn trash into treasure, and I think she liked lamps...
Who throws out a grater? Do they wear out? I stole one from my parents that may be older then me, and it shows no sign of wearing out!

And of course, what little girls room wouldn't be completed by this "Military Boot Lamp". In pink and white. With a hummel tucked into the faux foilege.
And I suppose one must make a pair of them, unless it's being discarded because one went missing. A great craft project for out men and women in service...

But the tour-de-force has got to be the Meat Grinder with basket lamp. And dangley pom-pom trim. sure to brighten up any room! Don't want another lamp? It's OK, there are other projects you can do with a meat grinder. Don't have a spare meat grinder sitting around? Neither do I. Woe to the poor soul who has two tho...
The real punch line here is not the projects, the flashlight lens pendant, the eggshell covered trinket box, the wig stand... No, the cover is the real reason I bought this piece of history "...turn household throwaways into objects of lasting value." If you're lucky your heirs will get .50$ for it at your estate sale...

1 comment:

Anjie said...

I covet that book, I want to know what else I can create with a meat grinder........... I feel left in suspense!