Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Shadow Puppets

I've been trying a lot of new crafts recently. Once people find out that you make stuff, they tend to ask you about making other stuff! I was requested to make some paper puppets for a play to celebrate Imbolc, naturally I said "Sure!". Then I realized I had no idea how to make a shadow puppet...
Fortunately I had most of the tools needed. Good scissors, an exacto knife, hole punchers, wires and sticks. I bought some good stiff card stock, and pack of little tiny connector brads. (Found at a scrapbooking store in case you're curious, couldn't find any little ones at the office supply shop.)
I created three characters. The lovely young woman who is Brigid, an old hag (who is up to no good of course), and a young dashing hero - Angus Mac Og. With only simple details I wanted to stick by old stereotypes to make the story-telling go easily.
After all the limbs were cut out and tacked together, I taped them up on sticks and added wires to move the hands. They were still tricky to use, but a little practice made some very realistic motions.
For the show, we set up behind a white sheet, with a piece of green sheet cut out to make the landscape. The flowers have colored plastic sheeting on them to make them bright and exciting. The plastic didn't stick very well, next time I might need more than simple white glue...
And so when Brigid walks the land the flowers could spring up behind her, and in winter she sleeps so the land can rest. I'm hoping we will have opportunities in the future to use these again, a tale of seasonal balance should be told often, and I worked my butt off to make these!

2 comments:

Rose Clearfield said...

It is so true about people recruiting you for all types of random crafty things. What an awesome project! It looks great.

Karen said...

You are so talented!