Sunday, July 26, 2009

Out of the Kiln and into The Farmers Market

I got two sets of ceramics out of the kiln Friday night, just in time to go to the Longmont Farmers Market yesterday morning. Both had been mostly finished, the outsides done, for some time. But the lovely textured lavender glaze I wanted to use was out of stock...for months!

Boy am I glad I waited! Many times I thought about using a plain-jane low fire purple, but I finally want down to Mile Hi Ceramics and got Texture Plum. Wow!!!




The depth and cascade is just amazing. The color is perfect for the images outside ( the indigo around the rim was supposed to be a medium purple, but it burned out a little). These bowls will be for sale in Pink's Pots tomorrow. And can you believe it's the same glaze on the cups? I cheated a little, there's color underneath the glaze...
When I glazed these the first time, I grabbed a jar of what claimed to be Texture Lavender. Turns out someone filled it with black slip and didn't remove the label. Oops. At least the slip is matte and takes glaze over it easily.
These are another set of the four seasons, wisteria for winter, plum for spring, iris for summer and thistle for fall. I was working out of my book of kimono patterns, and I have several more sets of cups planned. These sold at the fair (good thing I took a picture first!) and now have a happy home with a lovely lady from Longmont.

I also brought out my big platters for the first time. I had been puzzling over how to display them, until I found some book stands intended for large books. My mother hated using them since they were prone to tippage, but a little tweak on the chain length and they were quite sturdy. Besides, I like to live dangerously!

These platters are made from micacious clay, that is it has mica in it. It makes it a crumbly pain in the ass to work with, but it sparkles just slightly! (I'm a sucker for sparkly.) They're about 2 feet across and 3" deep, carved in relief and glazed. Both are Hiroshige images (what else?) of lovely Japanese women. I have enough clay for one more, I think it will be a lady with a lute...

This show I had a six foot table instead of a 5 foot, and a square card table for ceramics. I also went out and bought a folding camp table, and filled it up right away. I'm starting to have waaaay too much inventory, but you can't stop the creative juices.!

Over all it was a good show, not super hot, and as usual I met lot's of cool people. Plus! 15 lbs. of bruised peaches for $12. Preserves lesson to come...

3 comments:

Theresa said...

Love the colors and those platters are amazing!

Split Rock Ranch said...

Absolutely gorgeous! Any chance you'll be at the Mountain Arts Festival this coming weekend in Woodland Park?!

Pink said...

Woodland park is a bit distant... I've not heard of this festival, but I will be the hired help for my mother at the book fair this weekend ^.^