Thursday, April 14, 2011

Why Dying Yarn Can Take A While

When it's dying day at my house it's a full day's affair. I wait until I have several hundred yards of yarn spun up and ready to dye, then I have to skein it! For some of my yarns I do a long skein method which allows you to fit more colors and makes for less pooling on the finished item. My fancy shmancy device for this... is a pair of shovels set several yards apart.

This batch had a skein length of 14ft, which gives me plenty of room for slow color changes. I did three dye baths - green yellow and orange - to make this yarn. While the pot is going I also wash and dye some raw wool fleece in the same colors to use for blending. So in one day that was 6 different dye sets.

Once dried the long skeins show the color variation you can achieve this way! I then skein it back into standard two yard skeins, demonstrating the way the colors will look together when knit up. This was an organic Merino roving, and despite being handled so much it is still heavenly soft!

I worked up a few samples with my leftovers, the knit does indeed have a slow beautiful stripe; but the crocheted cuffs I made really let the colors play together and makes it truly look like a field of tulips! This yarn really has gotten me in the spirit of spring and I can't wait to get things rolling in the garden.

No comments: