Thursday, February 26, 2015

Five Great Upcycling Projects for Denim

Upcycling Denim is kind of my thing, I have literal piles of old pants, bins of denim scraps, and loads of cut up pieces. Whenever I think I'm making progress, BAM  - someone brings be another box of torn-kneed denim. Seriously, some friends just leave it on my porch. So, for anyone who doesn't want to start a factory style assembly line of upcycled Denim Bags, here's some other project ideas!

One can, of course, simple cannibalize old pants for the fabric and sew any project you can imagine that involves some small pieces. I could not hope to make something so cute as this Adorable Whale, so I'll send you to it's creator!



Use the sturdiness of the material to your advantage! A long lasting rug can be made from even small scraps.

For the more ambitious, be inspired by the Scrap Lab. This chair is made from industrial scraps and suggest a plethora of furniture options. Perhaps with old chair frames that have lost their fabric bits?
 A sleek and simple choice - potholders from the pockets of old pants. (Be sure your machine can handle sewing thru that many denim layers!) Also, how crafty are the Finns!
If you want to turn those pockets into more spaces for holding things (as pockets are wont to do), consider an organizer. You might think it looks like overkill, and you don't have all that much stuff... you do. Unless your house looks like an IKEA catalog, you can totally find enough random things laying around to warrant wall pockets.

5 comments:

Ragrugsbyjoyce said...

Hi, I was wondering where to purchase the grid that the Jean rug was made with?
Thank you

D.I.Y On The Fly said...

Hi there love the blog :) I love making purses out of old jeans super fun for sure .. I literally just started my blog i do alot of diy type blogging and youtube videos as well you should check them out .... www.growingupdiy.blogspot.com and if you wanna see any videos my youtube channel is Diy on the fly :)
Love your posts keep them coming lol :)

Tania said...

Hi Ragrugsbyjoyce,
I know this is a long time ago that you asked about the grid under the jean material did you ever get a response or figure it out let me know thanks I will continue to check in on this page for a response thank you Tania.

Anonymous said...

Please tell us how you made this rug ?

Anonymous said...

Please tell us how you made the rug