Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Money and Action

The past several days the canvassers have been around campus, their clipboards say Environment Colorado and the question they have - "Do you have a moment for the environment?" The answer to that question should be obvious "Yes, everyday I have several moments for the environment."
The truth is I avoid them, I walk on the far side of the walkways and stare at the lawns. The truth is they are not asking for moments, they are asking for money. The moment they have with you will not be used to mitigate your environmental impact, or change public policy, or assist in lifestyle change; that moment is for them to pay their salaries, and to fund the lobbiest group they represent.

I will not insult these people, nor those who give them that moment (and a small donation, tax-deductible). But this is a case of people giving money as proxy, changing your lifestyle is difficult and requires great awareness, handing someone five dollars and signing a paper is quick and painless.
But what about the rest of those moments? I have never felt that my lifestyle is difficult. I have never felt that living in an eco-conscious way is painful, or expensive, or punitive. In fact, my life feels every bit as rewarding and easy as I imagine it should be. But everyday I take a moment (well many dozen moments truthfully) and consider "What is the impact this has? - on me, on the air and water, on the biosphere, on other creatures, on other humans etc..."

So if a person takes a moment to hold a young idealist' clipboard and dig into their pockets, how can we convince that person to take a moment to look at their own actions? What sort of moments do you take in your life to look at the full impact of your life?

3 comments:

Storm, The Psychotic Housewife said...

I agree with what you are saying. I too, pay attention to what I am doing throughout the day - from buying used to borrowing from the library instead of buying new. People look at you like you are crazy when you won't purchase something because of the excess packaging. It's sad, really, the way people have become.

Karen said...

It is so good to hear you say this stuff. I always think it but am too shy to put it out there!

Pink said...

Well I am still to shy to knock on my neighbors door and demand they change their buying habits! Haha. But we should never be ashamed of our eco-crazy proclivities, our pocketbooks are a powerful vehicle for change.